Thursday, November 17, 2005

Day 17: Resting

It's been a tiring day (and, in retrospect, a tiring week), so I'm taking the night off from writing. One reason I've been trying to push a consistent word-count over the past week or so is I knew I'd want to take an occasional day off, so today I'm cashing in one of my "gimme a break" cards. So today's word-count and last line reflect what I wrote last night, not today.

When and how often do you need to take breaks from your writing? And how can you tell the difference from "real" weariness and mere avoidance?
Word count: 32,312

Last line: Love was a deep pool Alexa didn't want to wade into, for she knew its waters were deeper and murkier--and its floor more slippery and downward-leaning--than anything she felt prepared to face.

2 Comments:

At 11/18/2005 8:53 AM, Blogger Lorianne said...

Devon, it sounds like real weariness doesn't have enough *energy* to make room for guilt, whereas avoidance is a nervous, jittery thing.

Last night I was just plain tired: there was no sense of "should" about it. :-)

 
At 11/21/2005 10:37 AM, Blogger Lorianne said...

Yes, I can't physically write much more than 1,000 at a spell...or 40 minutes, whichever comes first!

I'm learning to multi-task between computer & non-computer tasks. Forty minutes at the keyboard followed by about 20 minutes away, then repeat. That avoids the dreaded "screen face" (as well as the even more horrific "laptop lap") while also giving me structured time to do other things: grade papers, do dishes, etc.

Congrats on your 3,000 word day: it's a rush, no?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home