Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Day 1: Anything is possible

It's just past 5 am and I just wrote my first 1,227 words toward my month-end goal of 50,000. Beginnings are simultaneously terrifying and exhilirating. On the one hand, there's the fear of a new project: where is this going, and can I do it? On the other hand, with a new project everything is fresh and not-yet-tainted: absolutely anything is possible because I have a full tank of gas (metaphorically speaking) and a wide-open horizon.

We'll see how enthusiastic I'm feeling in about a week or so...but for now, there are 1,227 freshly typed words on a hitherto blank screen: in other words, progress. The stone is moving, so now I just keep pushing!
Total word-count: 1,227

Last line: "Between that and her long sought after job, Alexa felt shored from monetary want, secure in her own (or at least her own family’s) self-contained resources: a feminine island among men."

6 Comments:

At 11/01/2005 7:10 AM, Blogger Travel Italy said...

I too, have embarked on this journey, it's my first time!!!

Hopefully we will both make it to the end.

 
At 11/01/2005 7:16 AM, Blogger Lorianne said...

Good luck! I did it last year, and it was a wild & wonderful ride!

 
At 11/01/2005 3:23 PM, Blogger Lorianne said...

Oh, but even *starting* is it's own victory! I went to a kickoff party with other NH WriMos, and the coordinator mentioned that the majority of folks who sign up don't write a single word.

So *any* word-count you generate from Nov 1 on is more than you wrote yesterday or the day before that. It's an automatic win!

Good luck, and enjoy those Snickers bars! :-)

 
At 11/01/2005 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so funny--my main character in Nano a few years back was Alexandra. I'm taking the lazy woman's way out and playing off of my Sacred Ordinary entries the past two years.

Loved that photo of the naked woman losing her head!

 
At 11/01/2005 8:02 PM, Blogger Lorianne said...

Yes, "Alexa" is short for "Alexandra," which I stole from the protagonist of Willa Cather's *O Pioneers!* I toyed with all sorts of variations of Alex/Alexa/Alexandra & finally settled on "Alexa" as being somewhat easy to type... :-)

And btw, I'd never use the word "lazy" to describe you, Fran!

 
At 11/02/2005 8:53 AM, Blogger Lorianne said...

Yes, Tamar...I'm hoping we *all* can inspire one another, so thanks for being here! Although the various genres each offer their own particular challenges, writing ANY sort of book is a potentially daunting, *lonely* process. So it's good to know there are other folks out there pounding away, or at least trying/wanting to pound!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home